Monday, 17 March 2014
Here are some follow up photos on my Mini Garden Project. Spring has come early this year, which is lovely. Lots of flowers are coming out and we've spent a few days in the garden already. I put the turf down on Friday. It's only meant to be a temporary solution until we look at the garden after the extension works. First photos
Tuesday, 26 November 2013
There was a square of space in our garden, near the shed, which I've done nothing to since we moved in other than attempt to grow some peas and beans. I've decided to make this into my latest mini garden project. It's a bit of a shady spot and, believe it or not, even in England we need such a thing sometimes. The fence panel will be replaced soon and I've just started to make a bench from concrete blocks and timber planks. I'll blog about this when it's done. I'm pretty happy with the transformation so far- and with more plants and blue slate it'll look even better! Here are some before and during photos- it's definitely not finished yet!
Tuesday, 5 November 2013
I wanted to combine our table place names with wedding favours. I used glassine bags to combine the name card, lottery scratch card, personalised kit-kats, friendship bracelet (for the girls) and instructions about how the cushions and plants were to be taken by the guests, if they wanted them. These were taped closed with washi tape. The top photos are just my mock ups to make sure that everything fitted and could be read. They worked well although unfortunately there weren't any big lottery winners!
Top photo courtesy of Amy Radcliffe Photography
Tuesday, 22 October 2013
Other favour that we included in our Place Name 'Packs' were Kit Kats with personalised wrappers. There were 16 different wrappers, 8 of Stuart and 8 of myself, this was so that everyone on every table would have a different one each. We chose photos from the 70, 80, 90 and 2000s, the more embarrassing the better.
I'd seen the idea on Martha Stewart Weddings. Kit Kats are the only (cheap) chocolates I could find which are still wrapped in foil so we used them. I bought all the different flavours to add some more interest. Stuart designed the labels and we were lucky to have a friend get them printed and trimmed, which saved a lot of time. They seemed to go down well- especially those who were last to go and get their meal from the buffet!
Wednesday, 16 October 2013
I've seen this idea on a couple of blogs and decided to make our own growth chart for the kids. It was really easy to make. We stained ours to match the other timber in our hallway however you could use a clear varnish instead.
What we used:
- 1 piece of wood approx 220 x 1850mm wide
- a couple of 1 x 2 soft wood battens
- 1/2" black self-adhesive numbers
- 1" black self adhesive letters
- 1 pot Ronseal quick drying varnish in Mahogany
- 1 black Sharpie Pen
How we did it:
- Fixed the timber to the wall with two battens
- Measured up 1m and market it on the wood with a pencil
- drew a line at 10cm intervals up and down from the 1m mark
- divide these lines at 1cm intervals, 1cm long
- Stick on the numbers and paint with one coat of varnish
- draw on the lines with the thick end of the Sharpie
- Paint with a second coat
Monday, 14 October 2013
As part of our Place Names 'packs' on the table we added a friendship bracelet for all the female guests. From my jewellery making I had lots of different colour 0.5mm thick cord and leather, similar to this. I had already bought some Copper Plated curved beads from this Etsy shop which I thought were lovely, so I bought some more. They are made with a two simple slip knots. You can find out how to do this here.
Monday, 7 October 2013
OK so it's taken a ridiculously long time for me to finish the halls stairs and landing. But finally it's done. The Wall of Height was the last thing I wanted to make and I love it. The coat hooks are just about holding up- though the kids are doing their worst to the animal hooks. The smallboy fits perfectly on the landing upstairs, as do the prints on the wall.